Tuesday, April 30, 2013
SRU Cross Country
This coming fall the cross country team is going to go down in size. Coach is going to have a difficult time but has to make cuts to the team. If anyone knows because of title nine the team is already small on the guys side. We had injured girls running a mile just so we could have more guys run. Now with cutting the girls side its going to make the guys team even smaller than what it is. I don't understand how things keep happening to the team. First there was the scare of not even having a team anymore and now they are making cuts to the team. I understand that there are people who show up and don't take it seriously, but what about the people who do take it seriously who might lose there spot on the team because they have to make so many cuts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am sorry to hear that. It is a shame when people do not take sports seriously in college. People do not realize how important sports are to some people and they do not take things seriously. This is a reason why title 9 occurs and it is a shame. I hope things pick up soon for the cross country team.
ReplyDeleteWow, I can't imagine what that must feel like. I would be very frustrated with the people who don't take it seriously. I ran track all throughout high school and I remember what it's like to have the people on the team who don't care and are just doing it to be with friends, etc. I remember we would get to do road workouts and I would pass people on the team around town who were walking or would stop in stores and buy food when they should be doing the workout. I hope things get better and I'm sure the coach knows who takes it seriously.
ReplyDeleteThis is a shame, as I would never want anyone in athletics to be downsized at the collegiate level. It seems as though you take great pride in being on the team and I am sure fellow teammates of yours do as well. I do not understand how people could not take collegiate sports seriously, but those are more than likely the players who will be cut from the team. Perhaps the team will be stronger and better off without the members who do not take it seriously. At any rate, I hope the team is not downsized, but there is always a positive to every situation.
ReplyDeleteWhy exactly do you have to have cuts on the women's side? I haven't heard about this and I'm curious. I always thought they wanted high numbers for the women so the men could have a few more. I know the men have a smaller squad due to Title IX.
ReplyDeleteI could write you a book on my feelings about this but ill keep it short. Part of me is glad that that some of the girls are getting cut. I know that may make me sound like a jerk, but let me explain why. Over the past few years, i have had to witness first hand guys be turned away for the team who have trained an entire summer, and shown up to every workout and practice through the year, but still not get a chance to compete. On the other hand, i have seen the girls cross country roster have close to 60 girls,many of whom are rarely at practice, and only show up on race days. That has been the most frustrating thing for me as a runner. I do feel bad that there will probably be a few girls who get cut that do work hard, and give there best, because I know what that feels like all to well. Even though i know that the impact of having girls cut, will have an adversely negative affect on the guys team, I cant say that I will feel too bad for the people who never show up, and haven't done anything to earn there spot.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is good that the people who show up and don't do anything are getting let go. On the other hand I think it awful that people who have worked hard and who may not be at the PSAC or National levels will be getting cut. Do you know what the coach is basing his cuts off? Is this going to affect the track teams at all because I know that alot of people participate in both sports. It must be a terrible feeling not knowing what is going to happen and I can't even begin to imangine what the caoch is going through.
ReplyDelete